One of the options you should seriously consider if you desire to transition from clinical dentistry because of illness, injury, or lack of interest is law. There is a documented need in every state for skilled attorneys with detailed knowledge of dentistry. Whether it be a criminal charge or misconduct, few dentist are willing risk jail, fines, and loss of licenses without a skilled lawyer.
About Ron Marsh
RONALD MARSH DDS
Dr. Ron Marsh is a dual board certified surgeon residing in the State of Washington. He completed an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency in Kentucky after completion of dental school at Loyola University in Chicago, graduating magna cum laude. He is board certified in both Dental Anesthesiology and Oral Surgery. Dr. Marsh served twenty years on active and reserve duty as a combat arms officer in the United States Army. He completed three years of overseas service during his career and was awarded the Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. While in active dental practice; Dr. Marsh was Team Surgeon, Central Washington Cleft Lip and Palate Team, Yakima, Washington, Assistant Professor, Columbia Basin College, Dental Hygiene Program, Pasco, Washington, and he was Staff Surgeon, at Kadlec Regional Medical Center, Richland, Washington. After nearly 25 years in private practice, he suffered a stroke and transitioned into dental education. In addition to teaching dental students for the University of Washington, he now leads the American Association of Disabled Dentists as their President. Dr. Marsh’s wide interests include dental education, disability support, and organized dentistry. He speaks nationally and is an enthusiastic voice for the dental profession, particularly in relation to dentist disability issues.
Entries by Ron Marsh
Accidental injury accounts for only 10% of the reasons that dentists become disabled and unable to work. The other 90% are medical illnesses, and an important subset of this group is substance or alcohol abuse/addiction. Yes, addiction is a medical problem and needs to be treated as such.
It is easy to focus on those with cancer and other readily identifiable illnesses, but we should not overlook those suffering
Addiction can be treated with the right mix of behavioral therapy and medication. Personal support can help addicted people navigate the road to recovery. No one gets through this alone. Seeking out friends, family, and even our peers is critical to survival. Support groups are also extremely important in rehabilitation and require serious commitment. Seeking help of
Ask for help before you are reported to the police or your state dental board. You have a lot of eyes on you and your luck will run out. Speak to your spouse, minister, family and friends. You would seek treatment if you had cancer. You also need treatment for an addiction. Both are diseases.
Seek treatment by contacting your physician or the ADA Wellness
One in four of us will encounter a disabling event during our working careers. This disability may be short term, long term or permanent.
Ignoring the problem doesn’t change the facts. Over 37 million Americans are classified as disabled. 50% of dentists suffer at least one